Blog Archive

A blog about different Django related development.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

XHTMLl 1.0 Strict and CSS Validated Drop-Down Menu

I needed to create a few navigation systems for a new web site skinning application I was working on. After testing a few I found googling I ended up writing my own that is Simple; Passes CSS and XHTML Validation; Gracefully Works Without CSS; and isCross Browser Compatible. I had tried a few of the other one's I'd found using Google and ran into major incompatibility issues in the different browser I had installed: Chrome, FireFox, IE7 and Safari for Windows. There are two display issues when using IE. If you are using IE7 or greater you will have a little extra padding below the navigation, this doesn't effect functionality but slightly changes the look of the overall page when displayed in any of the other tested browsers. If you are using IE6 or less the drop down doesn't work so your menu can be a link to menu area navigation page or a little JavaScript should be added to support IE6 or older. If you would like me to accommodate either of these IE situations please let me know and I'll look into it. You can view my initial development version of the first navigation system at: http://threshold-creations.com/navigation.html
You can use view source to see everything it's all in the single document.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I've recently gotten into woodworking and sustainable living. Not as a total life style change but more as a gradual growing process.